Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Technology Tools to Support Cognitivism

While behaviorism centers around the effects that outside influences have on learning, the cognitive learning theory focuses on the mental processes involved in learning information. Orey (2010) explained the information processing model as consisting of the receipt of information by the brain’s sensory registers, the movement of this information to short-term/working memory, and, if information is rehearsed enough, the retention of information in long-term memory. The dual coding hypothesis states that images (or even scents) are stored in the brain along with the word or concept itself. If we want our students to remember a concept, then it is beneficial to provide as many opportunities for connections to be made to that concept as possible.

As asserted by Pitler et al. (2007), “graphic representations serve as mnemonic devices that facilitate the classification, organization, storage, and recollection of information into and out of long-term memory.” There are many technologies available to help support cognition. Concept mapping has great potential to help students organize key information visually in an easily understandable manner. One particular example of concept mapping that I can use with my social studies students is a time-sequence pattern organizer. Microsoft Word has the option of using drawing tools to create such an organizer; my students can also search for clip art, insert it into their organizer, and explain the significance of each event included on it. I often have my students complete similar activities by hand, but using technology to complete the task will provide students with more options and easier access to information they can include a timeline. I can also have my students create cause and effect organizers using Microsoft Word. Cause and effect is a theme we discuss quite frequently. The visual component of a concept map would allow for greater understanding cause and effect relationships, and, consequently, better retention of information.

One of my favorite tools for making strong connections between my students and ancient history is a virtual field trip. Virtual field trips allow us to create episodic memories and rich experiences for our students (Laureate, 2010). These memories become part of a student’s network of connections relating to a particular topic, and help to serve as a basis for further learning about that topic. I incorporate virtual field trips as often as possible, and, just yesterday, took my class to visit the Great Wall of China. Since we had been learning about Ancient China for a couple of weeks and already discussed the Great Wall at length, visiting the Great Wall allowed students to make connections between what they saw and experienced and what they already knew. The discussions that took place as we “walked” along the Great Wall impressed me and showed me that students were able to recall information we had already discussed about the Great Wall of China. Now, when it comes time for them to tell me what they know about this topic, they will be more likely to recall the information discussed during our virtual field trip because they will have a strong episodic memory of it. Based on student feedback I have received, virtual field trips are one of the most effective tools we can use to engage our students in the learning process.

References
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2010). Cogitive learning theory with Michael Orey. [DVD]. In Walden University: Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology. Baltimore: Author.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

6 comments:

  1. I have not yet incorporated Virtual Field Trips with my third graders, but it is something I am planning on trying. Did you also create a concept map to go along with your field trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea

    Interesting appraoches you are utlizing in your history class. I find that these tools are very effective in teaching historical and scientific details bearing in mind that students would not be able to have some of these experiences in real life. Both Wolfe (2010) and Orey (2010) empahsized the fact that the more senses you utilize the better it is that learning will occur. virtual field trips have the ability to appeal to many senses thus allowing students to better recall and associate information. I have not yet used virtual field trips, but I am sure I will be using it soon in my business courses.

    What other tool and strategy did you use with the virtual field trip to help students arrange their observation? Did you have anything like a questionnaire or main question that you had then looking for answers to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not yet created a concept map, but I am looking forward to doing so for future virtual field trips.

    For my Great Wall virtual field trip, I used it for my warm-up activity that I do each day. Sometimes, I ask a question, but other times I will take my students to a website or on a quick virtual field trip. Then, they have to write down a certain number of observations or I might give them something specific to look for as we explore a virtual field trip. I always have something in place to help them organize their thoughts or give them guidance as to what they should be paying special attention to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only just did the virtual field trip for the first time yesterday and it is definitely going to be something that I incorporate into more lessons. My students are reading a book right now called, The Wish Giver, and it takes place around Salem, MA. I had the students take a virtual field trip around Salem yesterday and they were so excited!! I totally agree with you when you say that you are able to have better discussions after the students have been able to experience the topics more directly with the virtual field trips. It really seems to spark something inside of them that gets them thinking even more than before. I am excited to keep using this method!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My students really enjoyed the virtual field trip. I also guided my third graders throughout the virtual field trip and concept map. I am anticipating implementing another virtual field trip to see how much of the concept map that my students will be able to do with their partners without as much guidance.

    ReplyDelete